Moving away from home for the first time can be a daunting experience, especially when it's for pursuing higher education. However, attending the Okanagan Valley College of Massage Therapy (OVCMT) can be an excellent opportunity for anyone who wants to become a registered massage therapist. How do you make the move away from friends and family and attend OVCMT to pursue your dream career?
- Research the college and the surrounding area: Before moving away from home, research OV and the surrounding area thoroughly. OVCMT is located in the beautiful Okanagan Valley, which is known for its scenic beauty and diverse cultural offerings. Familiarizing yourself with the area will help you feel more comfortable when you arrive. We have a diverse range of outdoor activities from biking to lakes, skiing to rock climbing. We have it all right here in the Okanagan!
- Plan your finances: Moving away from home can be expensive, so it's important to plan your finances accordingly. Make a budget for your monthly expenses, including tuition, accommodation, food, and transportation. Research scholarships and bursaries that may be available to you and apply for them in advance. You may be eligible for bursaries through your parents’ affiliations, clubs, and associations. Also, BC student aid allows you to apply for both provincial and federal student loans, through their online portal.
- Find suitable accommodation: Finding suitable accommodation is crucial when moving away from home. OVCMT offers rental housing listings for students, and you can place an ad for a roommate to help reduce your costs. Vernon is a safe community with various options to meet your budget and needs.
- Get involved in the college community: Moving away from home can be lonely, so it's essential to get involved in the college community. Attend orientation events, study groups, or join classmates for fun events like beach day and participate in other extracurricular activities. This will help you meet new people and make friends.
- Take care of your physical and mental health: Moving away from home can be stressful, so it's crucial to take care of your physical and mental health. Attend the gym, eat healthy meals, and get enough sleep. You learn best when you are at your best!
- Stay organized and manage your time effectively: Balancing coursework, studying, and social activities can be challenging, especially when you're away from home. Make a schedule and prioritize your tasks to ensure that you're staying on track with your studies. Stay organized by using a planner, keeping your study area clean, and staying on top of your assignments.
- Seek support when needed: Moving away from home can be overwhelming, so don't hesitate to seek support when you need it. Talk to your instructors or faculty advisors, They can offer you support and guidance when you need it.
Studying massage therapy at Okanagan Valley College of Massage Therapy can be a life-changing experience. By following these tips, you can make a smooth transition from your home family, to our OV family, and achieve your dream of becoming a registered massage therapist.